Stop buying counterfeit makeup, please, just stop.
I also want to use this space to critique Influencers using and promoting these products. STOP PROMOTING COUNTERFEIT PRODUCTS TO YOUR AUDIENCE. If they did not have a reaction, that does not mean they are safe.
I know, the price point of certain makeup products is unreasonable high, like 70 dollars for a palette sometimes sounds like a joke. But if you think about carefully, these expensive products have been processed and lab-verified that they are safe for human use. It is going to be almost impossible (unless improperly use or allergy to certain ingredients) that you are going to experience an adverse reaction.
I remember that I was in that position, too, especially when I was younger, and I didn’t have a job. I found the palette that I really wanted the Naked 1 from Urban Decay for 15 CAD. I was so tempted to buy it, thankfully I read the reviews. A lot of people claimed that they got severe infections due to using the counterfeit product.
These products are commonly found in street markets or are sold within those websites that sell everything cheaper such as Wish or Alliexpress. I know it is very tempting to buy these products, especially when we see Influencers using it and talking great about it. We feel like we need to rush and buy it, but I encourage you not to buy it.
- Because I care about your health and I don’t want you to get a bad reaction because of the product, and believe me, you DO NOT want to use them. Let me scare you a little bit. As the Refinery mentioned, it has been found “human waste and bacteria […] the FBI reports that its agents have also found aluminum, human carcinogens, and even horse urine in the products they’ve seized (Refinery, 2018).” I am pretty sure that you do not want these products in your face.
- The people that sell you these products do not care about your health, they are only interested in your money. I know, legit corporations may seem like they are only interested in your money. Still, they are also worried about your health, these products are safe (unless notified).
- I know that it is tempting to buy counterfeit products but think about it. Is it worth it? Is it worth it to risk your health for makeup?. They are a lot of affordable products on the market. I know we want the stuff that everybody is using on Instagram, but I encourage that be aware of the products that you use. Expensive makeup does not make your makeup better, practice does.
How to tell apart counterfeit products from the real ones? The people who are selling these products are getting better and better recreating these products, almost to the point that it is impossible to recognize it. But we can fight them by:
- Getting your products from authorized sellers.
- If it is really cheap, probably it is fake.
- If there are no ingredients on the packaging or website, DO NOT buy it.
So, I want to buy makeup, but I can’t afford it, what can I do? Well, luckily, there is a lot of range of products that you can get for a really affordable price, and they are approved to be used as cosmetics. For example, drugstore brands offer affordable makeup and have vegan and non-cruelty products such as ELF or Wet’n’Wild. Also, indie brands can be accessible, and they care about your health. Look at Juvia’s Place, they offer a great product at an affordable price, and if you wait a little bit, they have fabulous sales throughout the year.
I will leave more accessible information about how dangerous these products are.